Burway Rowing Club, originally Staines Town Rowing Club, existed as long ago as 1921 boating in those days from Tims opposite Church Island near the Lammas in Staines. In 1935 Tims moved and the club found a new home near the Anglers Rest at Egham. Here they remained until the outbreak of war in 1939, and with members called away for service the boats and boat house fell into disrepair. Those members who returned from the war were keen to revive the club and negotiations with Mr Jack Harris of Laleham resulted in the occupation in 1946 of one of his boat houses. In 1948 it was decided to change the name of the club from Staines Town Rowing Club to Burway Rowing Club. The name change came about because firstly, the club had now affiliated to the ARA and with Staines Boat Club also affiliated this could cause confusion, and secondly the stretch of water at Laleham is known as the Burway Reach. 1948 also saw the birth of Burway Regatta which soon became a popular event in the rowing calender, and in 1953 the first Burway Head of the River Race was held. In 1956 Burway entered its first crew in Henley Royal Regatta, and in later years Burway crews visited France and Germany, and entertained foreign crews at Laleham. In 1973 a new seven year lease was negotiated with a rent review after four years, and alas this rent review resulted in a 400% increase. An extraordinary General Meeting was called and very reluctantly thirty years of boating was brought to a close with Burway vacating their Laleham premises in December 1976. Strodes College kindly offered to house the boats, Staines Boat Club and Wraysbury Skiff & Punting Club offered the use of their club houses, and local solicitor Mr Derek Holden offered to store most of the clubs furniture and fittings.Burway was determined to survive and began pursuing every avenue, holding many fund raising events, meeting in members' homes, anything to keep the Club alive. Finally their efforts were rewarded, Spelthorne Borough Council offered a piece of land near Lalelam Park at a rent they could manage together with a loan of £5000, the Sports Council offered a grant of £10 000, and local Architect Mr Bob Davies drew up plans for a new Burway Rowing Club. A foundation stone was laid on the 4th November 1979, an upstairs extension followed in 1992 and since then Burway has enjoyed a very fine, impressive boat house.